Walk around this loop trail featuring views of Mariner's Lake.
The Noland family of Newport News in Virginia gifted 800 acres to the city. The 167-acre lake was named after a well-known naval figure, Mathew Maury. Construction began for the concrete bridge called Lions Bridge. Many statues were carved from stone by Mr. Archer Huntington's wife, Anna, and put throughout the park in 1930. In 1990, Mr. Lloyd Noland Jr. proposed a walking trail to replace the old bridge and walking trail from the 1940s, and they were able to finance the whole upgrade.
This 4.8-mile trail has been open to the public since 1991. Only 8 years later, the Noland family provided for some changes to make the trail even better. There was some rerouting, benches, and signs added, plus 2-miles of the weather-resistant track. The trail has 14 bridges, many benches, handicap access, mile markers, and picnic areas. Leashed pets are welcome. There are several overlooks with awesome views of the lake. The Noland Trail is open year-round, and 150,000 people visit annually. Most people come for exercise and be close to nature, but scientists and biologists visit the natural environment. People have seen deer, turtles, squirrels, and birds during their visit. Reconnect with nature at Noland Trail in Newport News, Virginia.