Located on Mohegan Bluffs at the southeastern corner of Block Island, Rhode Island.
The grounds by the South East Lighthouse have amazing views out over the Atlantic, plus the best viewpoint on the new Block Island Windfarm that is just 3 miles offshore. The lighthouse was first built in 1875 close to the Mohegan Bluffs that is now marked with a big boulder. It took 19 days to move the lighthouse. It had to be moved inland 300 feet in 1993 because of the erosion taking place. It is 52 feet tall and built with brick and granite. The keeper's house is attached to the tower by a one and a half story connecting wing of brick and there is another one and a half story wing at the rear. The connector has porches on each side. The north wing was designated for the keeper and the south wing was used for the keeper's assistants. Modern plumbing and repairs from storm damage were done in 1938. Also, the roof that was originally shingled has since been covered mostly by slate shingles. The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997. The South East Lighthouse has been recognized for its historic importance as an aid to navigation and for its remarkable architecture. It is only 1 of 12 lighthouses that used the first-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse is open to the public during the summer and the tower tour is a must to learn all about the lighthouse and about shipwrecks along Block Island's shores. Adults $10, and $5 for seniors and children. The grounds of the lighthouse are open year-round. They also have a gift shop open during the summer, as well.