The 3rd floor of this plantation was used during the Civil War as a lookout for Confederate generals to spy on McClellan's troops when they were camping at nearby Berkeley Plantation.
Edgewood Plantation was built in 1849 and is a 7,000 square foot Gothic Revival architecture home. Edgewood was once part of the Berkeley Plantation which was the home of U.S. Presidents William Henry and Benjamin Harrison, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. There are beautiful, colorful gardens and a gazebo on the grounds, plus a 1775 grist mill that was built by Benjamin Harrison. Now the Edgewood Plantation is a bed and breakfast and is a national and state-regulated landmark.