The Bexar County Courthouse is the largest and oldest continuously operated historic courthouse in Texas
The Bexar County Courthouse is a historic building in downtown San Antonio, Texas and borders Main Plaza, along with such other architectural landmarks as the Cathedral of San Fernando. The courthouse was designed in the distinctive Romanesque Revival style by renowned architect, James Riely Gordon. It's cornerstone was laid in 1892 and the grand Courthouse was completed in 1897. A masterpiece of native Texan granite and red sandstone, roofed in distinctive green and red tiles. It was the fifth seat of government in Bexar County, the first four having been ruled by a succession of governments and political entities including Spain, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederate States of America, and the United States. Each of the four predecessor buildings were located within two blocks of the existing historic courthouse, in the heart of downtown San Antonio.