The museum covers a diverse collection of historical topics up to the present day and is housed in a former medical clinic.
Once a medical clinic, this 3-story building was owned by Dr. Ishmael beginning in 1887 when he opened his office. He continued to practice medicine at the same location until he passed away in 1920. Dr. Ishmael was a well-respected physician. Years later, in 1927, a physician named Edward Putney Guerrant used the building for a Hospital and the Guerrant Clinic until the 1970s. Guerrant's son, Edward Owings Guerrant, served in World War ll and then joined the medical practice with his father and continued to practice after his father died in 1964. Edward Owings Guerrant retired in 1985 and died in 1993. The building sat empty for 11 years, and the Winchester community members decided to renovate it and turn it into a museum. It opened slowly in stages as the building was repaired.
The exhibits and displays cover all 3 floors and feature plenty of local history. Because of the building's history of being a medical clinic, they have some of the former medical instruments displayed and an operating room on the 3rd floor. The telephone collection is quite popular and has an antique crank phone, switchboards, and telephone-related items. The history of Winchester, Kentucky, is evident with agricultural pieces, military collections, and various quilts. Guests will learn about the Eskippakithiki Native American Village, Daniel Boone, and more. Some rotating exhibits keep the museum fresh. They also provide hands-on activities and a gift shop. The docents know what they are talking about and are very helpful for the visitors. The Bluegrass Heritage Museum is open Monday through Saturday from 12 pm to 4 pm.